CLIMBING | MOUNTAINEERING
This bucket-style top-loading pack has a featherweight aluminum suspension system that handles loads up to 40 pounds. The mesh Airscape™ backpanel provides ventilation and all-day carrying comfort.
When the summit is in sight and every ounce counts, shed weight by removing the pack’s suspension, compression straps, and the helmet carry sling.
Other alpine-specific features include A-frame ski carry loops, dual ToolLocks™ with bungee tool tie-offs, and front panel webbing loops for crampon attachment. It also has an interior mesh slash pocket to keep small items organized. All zipper pulls and buckles are glove-friendly to keep your hands protected while grabbing for gear in frosty temps. And the hipbelt has built-in gear loops so you can to keep a few pieces handy to build a quick belay anchor and safely bring your partner up the final Class 4 scramble to the summit.
The top-lid with integrated FlapJacket™ system*, framesheet and aluminum stay, helmet carry, rope attachment strap and side compression straps are all removable to optimize weight savings. *Mutant 38 only
Reverse Wrap Hipbelt
The unique hipbelt system allows the users to wrap the padded hipbelt out of the way of the climbing harness.
Key Climbing Features
Dual ToolLocks™ with bungee tie-offs for quick and easy access to your ice tools. Reinforced A-frame ski carry loops work in conjunction with compression/retention straps to provide stable ski carry.
- Large Zippered Top Access - Zippered, wide mouth bucket load top access provides easy access to the pack’s internal contents
- Interior Slash Pocket - Interior mesh slash pocket keeps smaller gear organized
- Minimal Padded Hipbelt Wings - Minimal padded hipbelt wings include gear loops for quick rigging
- Rope Compression - Integrated rope compression strap keeps your cord secure
- Removable aluminum stay and 1.2mm HDPE frame sheet
Reverse Spacer Mesh Airscape Backpanel
- Smooth breathable surface over ventilated ridged foam
Reverse Spacer Mesh Harness
- Smooth breathable surface die cut foam
- Webbing attachment points and reservoir hose routing
- Adjustable sternum strap with whistle
Padded EVA Hipbelt
- Reverse wrap hipbelt padding wings with gear loop and attachment points (38l)
- Minimal padded hipwings with gear loops (28l)
|S/M||1587 in3 / 26 l||23h x 11w x 10d in.||2.05 lbs.|
|M/L||1709 in3 / 28 l||24h x 12w x 10d in.||2.16 lbs.|
|S/M||1587 in3 / 26 l||59h x 29w x 25d cm||0.93 kg|
|M/L||1709 in3 / 28 l||61h x 30w x 25d cm||0.98 kg|
- 210D Nylon Dobby
- 210D Nylon Triple Ripstop
- 210D Nylon Triple Ripstop
REVIEW SNAPSHOT®by PowerReviews
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Easy To Load
- Light Loads
- Summer Mountaineering
Comments about Osprey MUTANT 28:
I've used the past and current generation of the Osprey Mutant and this is my favorite. This pack is always with me on ice climbing trips or when I'm visiting a sport climbing crag. It'll hold what you need it to, and the rope/helmet carry system works great. The "reverse bucket" opening makes loading bigger items like a rope or light trad rack easy. The pack carries well with lighter loads and does a reasonable job when you push the load limits. I do find it necessary to buckle the hipbelt behind the pack when wearing a harness. The ice tool attachment system, while fantastic for almost all tools, is a bit spotty if you have a larger gap in the head of your ice tool. Overall, a great pack that I use through all seasons.
- What Is Your Gear Style:
- Was this a gift?: