January 14-17, 2016: Ouray Ice Festival
“For three days and three nights Ouray is an absolute ice climbing mecca; ice climbers, both novice and pro travel from around the world to celebrate the growing sport of ice climbing. During daily vendor exhibitions Festival attendees have the opportunity to demo the latest ice tools, apparel, and gear from the Outdoor industries leading retailers. Hundreds of spectators line the top of the Gorge on Saturday and Sunday to watch the world’s best ice and mixed climbing talent battle for the prize! And, with over 100 interactive and educational climbing clinics to accommodate every skill level, Festival participants are sure to have an experience to remember.
Nightly events include multimedia presentations by leading climbers, music, food, dance parties and a live and silent auction overflowing with screaming deals of the latest outdoor gear!”
“The Ouray Ice Park is a human made ice climbing venue operated in a spectacular natural gorge within walking distance of the City of Ouray, Colorado. It is home to more than 200 named ice and mixed climbs, most within a 15-minute walk of the Park entrance. Despite the high cost of its maintenance, the Park remains free and open for public use. In over 20 years of operation, it has become one of the premier ice climbing venues in the world.”
It’s that time again: we’re ready to head up to Ouray, Colorado for the 21st Annual Ouray Ice Festival! In addition to being a great gathering of “the tribe” the Ouray Ice Fest is an important fundraiser for the iconic (and free!) ice climbing mecca, Ouray Ice Park. This year the festival is focusing on the women of ice climbing and includes several clinics taught by leading female athletes.
In the months leading up to the festival, the Ouray Ice Park’s Ice Farmers cultivate immaculate blue pillars of ice, waiting to be climbed. These pillars each stand a few hundred feet tall, towering above festival-goers in the small box canyon just outside of Ouray. With over 200 ice climbing routes, the park is a perfect playground for ice climbing enthusiasts ranging from skilled professionals to those trying the sport out for the very first time.
We’re in good company during the festival, joining our friends at Outdoor Research, Petzl, La Sportiva (and more!) in offering gear demos, fittings and deals. What better way to try out the gear you’ve been eyeing from top brands than out on the ice, or in one of the clinics offered by San Juan Mountain Guides? Each clinic offered during the Ouray Ice Festival is taught by world-class ice climbers and athletes, including Osprey’s own Ben Clark and Marcus Garcia! Maximize your experience at the Ouray Ice Festival by signing up for one of San Juan Mountain Guides’ clinics, taking place Friday, Saturday and half of Sunday. SJMG works with top-tier athletes from all over the world to bring you the highest quality clinics and experiences. Most of the clinics are full (or filling up rapidly) but be sure to check out the schedule for the most up-to-date information on your clinic options.
Be sure to read the complete list of events to make sure you don’t miss any of the excitement!
The Osprey Packs booth is located in the main Gear Expo area just above Ouray Ice Park. Here’s some of what you can expect to find when you visit the Osprey booth:
- Demo our packs: In the market for a climbing pack? Come try out our Mutant or Variant series! Designed for fast and light alpine climbing, ice climbing and ski mountaineering, the Mutant Series is great for the vertical enthusiast looking for a streamlined, lighter weight pack. Compression straps are removable, as are helmet and rope carry options. The Mutant 38 features our FlapJacket™ Closure for lidless use while the Mutant 28 utilizes a large bucket-style top access. The Variant Series has long been a staple in the Osprey line with targeted design features utilizing feedback from mountain guides, professional alpinists and weekend craggers. Features include our FlapJacket™ closure system for lidless use, redesigned ice tool attachments, a simplified shove-it pocket and durable yet lightweight fabric updates. Along with function, fit remains a priority, with multiple sizes and interchangeable hipbelts in both sizes.
- Win gear! Swing by our booth to find out how you can win Osprey gear PLUS we’ll be giving out hot beverages and high-fives!
- Meet Osprey Packs Ambassador Anna Pfaff: New to the Osprey Packs Ambassador roster, climber Anna Pfaff will be hanging out at the Osprey Packs booth. Come talk with her about her favorite gear and ask her about her favorite routes at the park.
- Fit Specialists: Got a question about what or how to pack? Trying to decide which Osprey pack is best-suited for your needs? Ask the friendly Osprey Packs staff about our packs, tell us about your gear needs and get useful advice on the best gear for your upcoming travels, treks and adventures.
- 20% off all Osprey Packs at Ouray Mountain Sports: Found the right pack for you after trying on and testing one of our demo packs? Head over to local Osprey Packs retailer Ouray Mountain Sports, located conveniently in town, to receive a 20% off all in-stock Osprey Packs gear.
We’ll be sharing photos and updates from the Ouray Ice Festival throughout the weekend, so be sure to follow Osprey Packs on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter to see the latest.